Skip to main content

Firing new work part 1

It's been a long while since I've had any work to fire- probably the first batch since the summer. So it was with trepidation that I have begun some new Raku firings.

I've got a few commissions for people so this creates added pressure! At first the Copper matte results were a bit poor- a dodgy thermocouple meant that I was firing the kiln a  tad low at around- 1020oc instead of between 1040-1050- which always seems to give better results and a better chance of achieving a good oxidation and reduction during the cooling process.

Once I had sussed this- and upped the temperature with the aid of a new thermocouple- the results have improved.

That said the pots have been interesting, with a lot of deep copper blue- some gold flashing and a bit of red. Though not much this time around. Oh well- keep on going maybe I will get it right one day soon! More post to follow I am sure.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some more Crater glaze test results

I've been blathering on about Crater and Lava Glaze recipes here and on Facebook too. I suddenly "got the bug" as well as a commission- (more on this later) so hence the rather manic activity testing out glazes and destroying kiln shelves in the process with runny, bubbling glazes.

I tested 2 recipes- after first trying the usual recipes from the internet and in various books. As I suspected - few of them gave satisfactory results- either it was "pilot error" or the glaze authors just happen to neglect to tell you that vital missing  ingredient, kiln temperature or soak time etc! (Know the type of thing?)

Anyway I resorted to testing 2 standard glaze recipes which I've had for years. A turquoise matte and a Lucy Rie white stoneware. The jury is still out on the turquoise variant- but the white is rather nice. A little suggestion from Potter Jan Lewin Cadogan http://www.janlewin-cadogancontemporaryceramics.co.uk/
put me right by suggesting to mix the glaze …

New work off to Old Chapel Gallery...

I just spent the weekend parcelling up pots ready for shipping out. Some are off to the Old Chapel Gallery. This is a new venue  for me but it's set in lovely Herefordshire. Now fingers crossed I sell some pots! Some of the pieces sent out are pictured below.

You can check out the website here-


http://oldchapelgallery.co.uk/












Testing times...

Been messing around with a not quite Terra Sigilata slip. Well the juries out on this one. I saggar fired them to about 700 degrees c, I'm not expert but it was fun to try. Perhaps it's something I will persevere with . It's good to try something new even if they don't quite pan out. Interesting... but more work needed!

Looking forwards to raku firing properly soon! Lots to do and almost completely out of stock..so I better get a jiggy on.