Skip to main content

More raku tiles...

I was recently asked to make about 20 tiles all 20cm x 10cm for a customer. It really is challenging not only making them- (all the same!) but to fire them too and achieve a consistant -lasting result. Raku by it's nature is pretty randomn, and especially with copper lustre- the effects can be fleeting. I'll try and answer some of these points.

Making: 

Firstly- I made the tiles using roller guides- rolling onto a wooden board, covered with canvass or paper. They key thing is have enough space to work and not to lift or move them! They all need to be a uniform thickness so roller guides area  must. Use a template and a ruler- and a potter's knife to cut. A wooden board can be placed on top to stop warping. You will need to periodically check for this as they dry. Make more than you will need.

Firing:

Supposing you get through the bisque firing unscathed- it's the "fun" part. I place the tiles onto a pad of ceramic fibre onto the kiln shelf. This helps with lifting off the hot shelf. I fire them to  about 1020 degrees c- which to an extent- helps preserve the lustres better. They go into the reduction bin 1 at a time, and are quickly covered. I fire two shelves of tiles and they all go into the same bin. I reduce for about an hour.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GQ Magazine India

Just been told that one of my pots is featured in an article in GQ magazine India.
It gets more and more bizarre every day! It took me a while to work out what the mag actually was...stands for Gentlemen's Quarterly I think? Nice.

Meanwhile, production has ground to a halt, whilst I paint and generally clean out the workshed. Paranoid about the hazards of clay dust, I decided for health and safety reasons, it was high time.
Can't wait to get it finished and back to making,






New work off to Old Chapel Gallery...

I just spent the weekend parcelling up pots ready for shipping out. Some are off to the Old Chapel Gallery. This is a new venue  for me but it's set in lovely Herefordshire. Now fingers crossed I sell some pots! Some of the pieces sent out are pictured below.

You can check out the website here-


http://oldchapelgallery.co.uk/












An Indian adventure

Well the dust has settled now and I can tell you about a lovely opportunity  to team up with Mumbai based company, CuroCarte. FoundedbyAnanya Birla, Curocarte aims to source work by artisans from around the world to showcase their talents in an online design/retail website. From what I gather it is mainly aimed at the emerging Indian market and all I can say is that I am "chuffed" with the link up.

I was visited by Pragya Awashthi whocame direct from Mumbai to my studio and workshop. I cannot praise Pragya enough and the founding principles of the company, the website is now live and you can judge for yourself.

I have to keep pinching myself that this actually just happened. Well back to reality, back to the workshed...

CUROCARTE WEBSITE: 

https://www.curocarte.com/default/countries/united-kingdom.html