Skip to main content

Making new pots part 1

Well I have just about finished making my latest batch of slab constructed work. I started in about August-it's now November! You just can't make them quick enough. I've got to start a bit of throwing now, and get the firings on the go- I hope before Christmas... I've already got a few customer enquiries for some pots so I suppose that's a good sign.

I hope if the pots fire succcesfully to hold some decent stock back with a view to generating a collection I can take to Craft shows in the coming year.

Last of my slab constructed "Menhir " sculptural vessels. 
Scarva earthstone clay 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some more Crater glaze test results

I've been blathering on about Crater and Lava Glaze recipes here and on Facebook too. I suddenly "got the bug" as well as a commission- (more on this later) so hence the rather manic activity testing out glazes and destroying kiln shelves in the process with runny, bubbling glazes.

I tested 2 recipes- after first trying the usual recipes from the internet and in various books. As I suspected - few of them gave satisfactory results- either it was "pilot error" or the glaze authors just happen to neglect to tell you that vital missing  ingredient, kiln temperature or soak time etc! (Know the type of thing?)

Anyway I resorted to testing 2 standard glaze recipes which I've had for years. A turquoise matte and a Lucy Rie white stoneware. The jury is still out on the turquoise variant- but the white is rather nice. A little suggestion from Potter Jan Lewin Cadogan http://www.janlewin-cadogancontemporaryceramics.co.uk/
put me right by suggesting to mix the glaze …

New work off to Old Chapel Gallery...

I just spent the weekend parcelling up pots ready for shipping out. Some are off to the Old Chapel Gallery. This is a new venue  for me but it's set in lovely Herefordshire. Now fingers crossed I sell some pots! Some of the pieces sent out are pictured below.

You can check out the website here-


http://oldchapelgallery.co.uk/












Testing times...

Been messing around with a not quite Terra Sigilata slip. Well the juries out on this one. I saggar fired them to about 700 degrees c, I'm not expert but it was fun to try. Perhaps it's something I will persevere with . It's good to try something new even if they don't quite pan out. Interesting... but more work needed!

Looking forwards to raku firing properly soon! Lots to do and almost completely out of stock..so I better get a jiggy on.