Skip to main content

Kiln firings in April.

I 'm nearing the end of a batch of firings of some new work. There's been some urgency on my part  to supply  3 galleries asking for work- and another wanting replacement stock. A nice problem to have- but a problem nonetheless when you've got no work left to sell.

Once again copper matte has proved as frustrating as ever- but I am confident that  I know exactly what I am doing- and what I am doing wrong! This time- the pyrometer played up.  Two kiln firings went "kaputt"- the pots went too hot* (above 1050) -(*soaked too long in the kiln) and the copper matte begins to burn out or flux too much- too low- and the reduction happens too quickly and drab colours result in reduction.  The pots need to start showing a very slight sheen - this is a good sign. Too little- and the colours are unstable and drab- too much and the colours will also be drab and burned out.

For me 1030-1040 gives the optimum result. I keep stating this- because its so easy to  forget when you fire periodically like I do. It's crucial to  seal the base of the reduction bin with earth- burping the cannister after  15 minutes.  So is watching  the copper matte surface begin  to "bloom" it's colours -not too much- then  re- sealing for between 8-10 minute.  Finally whether to reseal or not- and  expose to the air. Sometimes this develops the fabled golds and pinks.

 That's all there is to it. Even so I still  managed to cock up!   Despite this some nice pots have emerged.

Note: Some of the glazed raku has worked well- I even managed to achieve some gold...


Popular posts from this blog

GQ Magazine India

Just been told that one of my pots is featured in an article in GQ magazine India.
It gets more and more bizarre every day! It took me a while to work out what the mag actually was...stands for Gentlemen's Quarterly I think? Nice.

Meanwhile, production has ground to a halt, whilst I paint and generally clean out the workshed. Paranoid about the hazards of clay dust, I decided for health and safety reasons, it was high time.
Can't wait to get it finished and back to making,

New work off to Old Chapel Gallery...

I just spent the weekend parcelling up pots ready for shipping out. Some are off to the Old Chapel Gallery. This is a new venue  for me but it's set in lovely Herefordshire. Now fingers crossed I sell some pots! Some of the pieces sent out are pictured below.

You can check out the website here-

An Indian adventure

Well the dust has settled now and I can tell you about a lovely opportunity  to team up with Mumbai based company, CuroCarte. FoundedbyAnanya Birla, Curocarte aims to source work by artisans from around the world to showcase their talents in an online design/retail website. From what I gather it is mainly aimed at the emerging Indian market and all I can say is that I am "chuffed" with the link up.

I was visited by Pragya Awashthi whocame direct from Mumbai to my studio and workshop. I cannot praise Pragya enough and the founding principles of the company, the website is now live and you can judge for yourself.

I have to keep pinching myself that this actually just happened. Well back to reality, back to the workshed...